Tom Fall Exclusive Interview
1) Tom, you’ve had a hell of a year — let’s start with your recent DJ events. Recently, you played the A State of Trance #550 event at London’s legendary Ministry of Sound. Tell us a little about that experience, as well as any other DJ events in the works.
Simply a dream come true moment for me. There’s nothing like performing for a jam packed MOS filled with ppl who are ready to party!
Next, I’m going to perform on Monday Bar – Black & White Cruise along with Ben Gold, John O’Callaghan and many more. And in June 29th I’m going to Glasgow, Scotland to play in Sublime night along with Lange.
2) Also, we noticed that you just launched Silk Royal Showcase 02, the second in your annual compilation series with Silk Royal Records. Tell us about the process of making this album, and what should we expect from this instalment?
- There’s such a massive amount of new talent out there so the hard part was to choose the right tracks to get the right flow for the cd. The process takes it’s time, but I’m so happy with the outcome.
In this compilation you will find the very best of melodic progressive house at the moment, in my opinion. New talents are included here, as well as already known producers making really beautiful stuff.
3) What other releases have you dropped recently, and what’s on the horizon?
Well there’s been a lot of remixes of mine coming out recently, like Cosmic Gate & JES – Flying Blind remix as well as TyDi with Tenishia & Jennifer Rene – Greater Heights remix.
But now I’m super excited for the long waited release of my collaboration with Ben Nicky called ‘Hammer’ which has gained a massive support from the big boys.
4) Your productions are renowned for a big-room sound that just explodes out of the speakers. Armin, for example, has been hammering your “White Birds” remix at the start of his sets this year, not to mention other international DJ stars like Above & Beyond, Myon & Shane 54, and Tiesto have been supporting your work. What’s the secret of making such a powerful, yet clean and tightly mixed sound?
I’ve been producing music for 9 or so years now and in that time I’ve been working hard to learn different mixing techniques and right strings of effects for the elements.
There’s no magical one thing or secret, it’s hard work, pure and simple to not only to make that phat bassline and big drums but to mix it right so it sounds clean and explodes when the drop comes.
5) Any other production/studio tips you’d be willing to share?
Take your time, listen to other tracks that you like and are similar of what you’re after, compare and be a perfectionist.
Listen to the tracks in different speakers, like in your car, laptop, big soundsystem if possible before you decide it’s done.
6) Tell us about your dream collaboration and/or remix project.
- My dream collaboration would be with ppl like BT who is imo the best producer out there. Armin van Buuren and Tiesto are on top of that list too as those are the players that are to blame for getting me into producing.
7) What are your current DJ bombs, as well as any other current tracks that you just enjoy listening to outside of the clubs?
- In my recent gigs the biggest bombs have been the the remixes I made for TyDi’s ‘Acting Crazy’ and Temple One’s ‘Love The Fear’ as well as my yet unreleased track called ‘iRok’. One more that has a great impact is a mashup I made; Temper Trap & Dirty South vs. Hard Rock Sofa ‘Sweet Quasar’.